The world of CBD is a confusing one and one question we get asked time and time again is, what is the best strength cbd oil to use?
Choosing the right CBD oil let alone strength is not an easy task and it can feel totally overwhelming for most people. But it doesn't have to be this way. We've compiled a list of some of the most important things you need to know when choosing the right CBD strength.
The crazy world of buying CBD
When buying CBD, it's a hot mess. Here are some of the questions you’ll likely come across the following questions:
- What is the right product for me, an oil, capsule, edible, topical etc.?
- Which brands can I trust?
- What is the right strength for me?
- What size bottle should I get?
- What is the right CBD for “insert condition”
Clear as mud. The good news is you are not alone feeling this way and even better, we are here to clear up this up for you.
What is the best strength cbd oil to use?
It does not matter which CBD strength you get if you are not getting the right product. Before focusing on strength, focus on the right product.
Here’s a reminder of some things to look out for:
- CBD oil should be full spectrum (for best effects)
- CBD oil should have a range of cannabinoids present (like CBDa etc.)
- CBD oil should have a range of terpenes
- CBD oil should be organic (this is super important)
- CBD oil should have great customer testimonials
- CBD oil is in date - it has an expiry date
- CBD oil does not make any medical claims. This is illegal
- CBD oil has a lab test for that batch (not just a generic lab test)
- CBD has certifications, GMP certification or organic certifications
Once you have the basics figured out, it’s time to focus on the CBD strength.
But it’s important to note before we go any further, we need to highlight
Different CBD oils suit different people. Just because one oil in 10% doesn’t have the effect you are after, does not mean a 10% in another brand will not work for you.
The strength of the CBD oil will determine the strength of the effect you get from CBD.
1 drop of a 3% oil will have a different effect than 1 drop of a 10% oil.
i.e. the higher the concentration of CBD is, the stronger the effect you will get.
However, if you use more of the 3% oil, you will get the same effect. For example:
- 4 drops of a 3% oil will have the same CBD strength as 1 drop of a 10% oil
BioBloom 8% oil
The secret then is to figure out how much CBD dosage you want per day and then you can choose what is the most cost effective strength oil to buy.
How much CBD should I take?
The amount of CBD you can take varies depending on a number of different factors, whether you have taken CBD before, your age, body fat, genetics and more, not to mention the CBD product itself (full spectrum will have more of an effect than a broad spectrum product for example).
When starting CBD for the first time, the most important thing to do is to start low and go slow. Therefore, it’s probably a better idea to go with a lower to mid-strength oil.
A good plan is to start with around 10mg daily (according to the Medical Cannabis Clinicians Society) and gradually increase this dose. You are looking for the lowest dose that you start to feel an effect (a reduction of the symptoms you are looking to treat)
- Week 1: 3mg 3 times a day
- Week 2: 4mg 3 times a day
- Week 3: 5mg 3 times a day
- Week 4: 6mg 3 times a day
On the other hand, if you have taken CBD before and take it regularly, you might want to start with a mid-strength to higher strength oil.
Ultimately though, the strength of the CBD oil depends on why you are using the oil and what the minimum dose you need to see results for you. A general rule of thumb is that CBD is recommended for maximum strength for pain relief and low to medium strength for sleep or other mood disorders.
Choosing the right CBD oil strength depends on a number of factors, whether you’ve taken CBD before and the reason you are choosing to take CBD.
If you choose a lower strength oil, it will have the same effect as the higher strength CBD oils but you will just need to take more of it.
Really, the most important consideration is to choose the right CBD oil in the first place.